Dormosedan® (detomidine hydrochloride) is indicated for use as a sedative and analgesic to facilitate minor surgical and diagnostic procedures in mature horses and yearlings.
DORMOSEDAN® (detomidine hydrochloride) is a nonnarcotic, synthetic (alpha-2 adrenoreceptor agonist) equine sedative/analgesic that contains the active ingredient detomidine hydrochloride. DORMOSEDAN can be used safely for a variety of minor surgical and diagnostic procedures.
DORMOSEDAN is approved for:
- Use as a sedative and analgesic to facilitate minor surgical and diagnostic procedures in mature horses and yearlings.
- Use in calming fractious horses, providing relief from abdominal pain, and facilitating bronchoscopy, bronchoalveolar lavage, nasogastric intubation, nonreproductive rectal palpations, suturing of skin lacerations, and castrations.
- Additionally, an approved, local infiltration anesthetic is indicated for castration.
- Produces nonnarcotic, reliable, dose-dependent sedation and analgesia
- Flexible dosing allows the veterinarian to regulate the depth and length of sedation and analgesia
- Allows equine chemical restraint and pain relief to simplify minor surgical and diagnostic procedures, such as suturing and intubation
- Uses include calming fractious horses, relieving abdominal pain, and facilitating bronchoscopy
- May be administered through intravenous or intramuscular methods
- Provides a wide margin of safety
5- and 20-mL multidose vials
Dosage and Administration
- For Sedation: Administer DORMOSEDAN IV or IM at the rates of 20 or 40 mcg detomidine hydrochloride per kg of body weight (0.2 or 0.4 mL of DORMOSEDAN per 100 kg or 220 lb), depending on the depth and duration of sedation required. Onset of sedative effects should be reached within 2–4 minutes after IV administration and 3–5 minutes after IM administration. Twenty mcg/kg will provide 30–90 minutes of sedation, and 40 mcg/kg will provide approximately 90 minutes to 2 hours of sedation.
- For Analgesia: Administer DORMOSEDAN IV at the rates of 20 or 40 mcg detomidine hydrochloride per kg of body weight (0.2 or 0.4 mL of DORMOSEDAN per 100 kg or 220 lb), depending on the depth and duration of analgesia required. Twenty mcg/kg will usually begin to take effect in 2–4 minutes and provide 30–45 minutes of analgesia. The 40 mcg/kg dose will also begin to take effect in 2–4 minutes and provide 45–75 minutes of analgesia.
- For Both Sedation and Analgesia: Administer DORMOSEDAN IV at the rates of 20 or 40 mcg detomidine hydrochloride per kg of body weight (0.2 or 0.4 mL of DORMOSEDAN per 100 kg or 220 lb), depending on the depth and duration of sedation and analgesia required.
- Before and after injection, the animal should be allowed to rest quietly.
- Careful consideration should be given prior to administration of DORMOSEDAN to horses approaching or in endotoxic or traumatic shock, to horses with advanced liver or kidney disease, or to horses under stress from extreme heat, cold, fatigue, or high altitude.
- Protect treated horses from temperature extremes.
- Some horses, although apparently deeply sedated, may still respond to external stimuli.
- Routine safety measures should be employed to protect practitioners and handlers. Allowing the horse to stand quietly for 5 minutes before administration and for 10–15 minutes after injection may improve the response to DORMOSEDAN.
- DORMOSEDAN is a potent á2-agonist, and extreme caution should be exercised in its use with other sedative or analgesic drugs, for they may produce additive effects.
- When using any analgesic to help alleviate abdominal pain, a complete physical examination and diagnostic work-up are necessary to determine the etiology of the pain.
- Federal law restricts this drug to use by or on the order of a licensed veterinarian.
- Not for use in horses intended for food.
- Not for use in humans.
- Keep out of reach of children.